If you are one of them, read on for several matters you need to know so that you will be ready in case you have to file a claim.
• A personal injury lawsuit can protect you. After getting injured because of an accident, you will face medical expenses, emotional stress, and lost income. The incident may also disrupt your daily routine. Generally, a personal injury lawsuit is designed to protect the rights and finances of a victim. With the help of an accident lawyer, you may be able to recover the proper amount of compensation through a settlement with the other party or at a trial.
• An attorney can help you recover more. In most cases, people who have a personal injury lawyer recover more compensation than those who opt to handle the situation alone. An experienced attorney knows how to value a claim. They also understand what is necessary to reach a favorable settlement. If your insurance company does not want to negotiate, your attorney can present the case in court.
• It is best to call a lawyer immediately. Having an accident attorney will help you avoid making costly mistakes such as failing to document an injury properly or revealing too much information to an insurance adjuster. Additionally, a lawyer can guide you through the procedures and communicate with your insurer on your behalf. Contacting an expert as soon as possible may also help you recall more details about the accident.
• You should not sign an agreement before consulting an attorney. Your insurance company may try to convince you that having an attorney is unnecessary. However, you should remember that they may not always have your best interest in mind. Some insurers try to make victims settle for less than what the case is worth, so it is important to remind yourself not to sign anything before consulting a lawyer about it.
• There are two ways to win a case. You can win a case through a settlement wherein you, as a plaintiff, and the defendant will agree on the compensation you will receive. Another way is through a court verdict. If this is the case, a jury or a judge will decide after the court proceedings. No matter what the circumstances are, a personal injury lawyer will be able to give you the support that you need.
A personal injury case can be complex and time-consuming. Some insurance companies may try to drag the process out so that the claimant settles for far less than the appropriate value. Additionally, these cases have a statute of limitations. Under Florida law, you have four years from the date the accident happened to file a personal injury lawsuit. So if you ever suffer from an injury due to an accident, contact a lawyer immediately to discuss your case..