What Are Considered Catastrophic Injuries?
Catastrophic injuries are an insurance classification that describes injuries that have permanent effects. Some common types of catastrophic injuries include:
● Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI): TBI is an injury caused by a violent blow to the head. It can result in lifelong cognitive dysfunction, mobility limitations, and emotional difficulties.
● Loss Of Limbs: A loss of a limb can not only cause physical challenges but emotional challenges for the victim and their loved ones.
● Spinal Cord Injury: Spinal cord injuries can result in both partial and complete paralysis, chronic pain, exaggerated reflexes and spasms, and loss of organ control.
● Ruptured Organs: Ruptured organs can result in limited function, life-threatening illnesses, and require constant medical care.
● Severe Burns: Severe burns can lead to a variety of issues such as disfigurement, limb loss, and even permanent disability.
These injuries not only impact the victim’s health, but their ability to lead their normal lives. Some people can recover from these injuries, but in all cases, they will have a lengthy and difficult recovery period.
Damages For A Catastrophic Injury
Catastrophic injuries cost more than non-catastrophic injuries and not just in terms of medical expenses. They can cost a person their income, their assets, and even their social relationships. These costs need to be factored into the costs of catastrophic injuries. There are many types of damages you can claim depending on the circumstances of the catastrophic injury including:
● Medical expenses both current and future
● Lost wages and benefits both current and future
● Household expenses
● Mobility devices and assistance
● Pain and suffering
● Loss of consortium or companionship
You may also be owed punitive damages if the party responsible for your injuries acted intentionally. Your attorney can help you determine which damages you can claim in your particular situation.
Why You Need An Accident Attorney After A Catastrophic Injury
Catastrophic injury cases are very complex. First, you have to determine the overall costs of the injuries, this can be hard because there are many things that may be coming in the future like in-home health care that you may not be considering. Secondly, because the damage amounts are very high, insurance companies will do everything in their power to get out of paying. They’ll try to say the injuries were your fault, they aren’t as bad as you claim, and bury you in paperwork to delay your claim long enough to force you to settle for anything. You need an experienced legal to make sure you and your family are financially protected now and in the future.
Michael Babboni can help. With nearly three decades of experience helping catastrophic injury victims get the compensation they deserve, he will use knowledge to fight for you. Once you hire him, he’ll take over everything. You won’t have to worry about talking to the insurance companies, collecting evidence, and filling out endless paperwork. You or your loved one will be able to just focus on healing and moving forward. Call the St. Pete’s Lawyer today at (727) 381-9200 for a free consultation to learn how he can help!.