The High Costs And Grieving
Losing a loved one can bring serious financial hardship on those who depend on them – especially when insurance isn’t involved. Consider some of the following ways a death can financially impact loved ones:
- The medical costs associated with their care prior to passing can reach astronomically high levels very quickly. Even an ambulance ride alone can cost tens of thousands.
- Funerary costs are quite high as well, and the cost of burial or cremation can add to the financial burden in a significant way.
- The passing of a loved one who helps support the family can bring not only a vacuum in hearts, but in income as well. The loss of a source of income can make it a struggle to pay even basic bills, let alone the medical and funerary costs associated with their accidents.
These high costs mean that families of a lost loved one will often struggle to recover mentally or emotionally from their loss. Instead of being able to grieve properly, they have to worry about money and how they’re going to make ends meet. In situations where the deceased lost their life due to the actions of someone else, seeking financial compensation for their injuries is something that is well worth doing.
Some may hesitate to seek financial compensation – they might see it as carrying a social stigma or ‘profiting from a death’. But the reality is that when you consider the costs of an accident and wrongful death and then realize what kind of impact it can have, seeking restitution makes tremendous sense and is nothing to be ashamed of. A lost loved one would want their family to be taken care of, after all.
But what can you do? A wrongful death attorney can help guide you through the process of determining whether or not you have the right to seek financial compensation, and then represent you during a wrongful death case.
In order to be able to seek compensation, you’ll have to be able to show that a wrongful death occurred. This means that it must be proven that the other party involved in the accident acted in a negligent or reckless manner and that their actions led to the accident that caused the death. This could be any number of things including:
- Drunk driving
- Texting while driving
- Failure to properly install safety features on the job
- Failure to place warning signs in dangerous areas
And more. Sometimes this is a straightforward process while in others it can be much more complex, and having a wrongful death attorney on your side is vital for ensuring that you are able to get the results you deserve.
Often, insurance companies and the legal teams of the other side will use various tactics ranging from low settlement offers to stalling and prolonging the proceedings in an effort to avoid paying what is rightfully yours. But with a good wrongful death attorney on your side, they’ll be much more willing to come to an agreement that is fair since they know that your legal team will fight for you.
If you’ve lost someone close to you, you have the right to seek compensation for their loss and the financial impact it can have on your life. It’s something that can greatly help with the grieving process so you can focus on moving on instead of on the financial burden. Contact our team today to find out more about what your rights are..