1. Take a deep breath. Don’t panic. The first step of the game is to stay calm.
2. Look around at your surroundings. Assess if you are injured or if there is any immediate danger around or in your vehicle. Look for things like downed power lines, broken glass, fire, or any other cars still moving around you.
3. If you have any passengers, check on their condition. It is important to note your own condition first so that you don’t injure yourself more, but if you are able to help anyone else, just don’t hurt yourself further.
4. If there is no immediate danger, stay put in the car until medical attention arrives. There is a chance that you sustained an injury in the crash that you might not even know about. Sometimes getting up and walking around is the worst thing you can do.
5. If there is any immediate danger, get out of the car as quickly and safely as possible. Get to the side of the road where there is grass. Do not leave the scene completely unless it is unsafe to stay.
6. If you have landed upside down, you will want to release your seat belt in order to be prepared for someone to come and rescue you. But you first will need to brace for the impact that will happen when you hit the button and release the seatbelt. Find a way to soften the blow with your legs or arms as long as you aren’t hurt. If you need help, it is best to stay put.
7. If you find yourself under water, roll down the windows first thing before your vehicle loses power. You do not want to be stuck in a car with no way to roll down the windows and no escape route.
8. Check around to see if anyone has called 911. If not, make the phone call right away or delegate someone standing nearby to do so. If your newer vehicle has OnStar or any other automatic calling programs, it may have already made the call for you.
Staying calm and rational is the most important thing. If you start freaking out after an accident, it can be hard for the people coming to help to figure out what you actually need. If you have been injured in a car crash, call The St. Pete Lawyer to help you with your case. We will be happy to assist you in getting back to your regular life after your crash with the help that you need.