What Can Cause Slip And Fall Accidents
Because a lot is happening all at once in a busy workplace, slip and fall accidents can happen anytime and anywhere. Being aware of the common causes of a slip and fall can save you from ever experiencing it. Here are the things you should watch out for:
- Wet And Slippery Floors – When people are walking too fast or are in a hurry, it is hard to notice if the floors are wet or newly polished. Newly mopped and polished floors tend to be really slippery and this can cause a number of slip and fall accidents, especially to people who are rushing to get somewhere.
- Steep And Uneven Staircases – Elevators might take too long to arrive and many would choose to climb the stairs instead. If you are one of these people, you should watch out for uneven steps as these can also cause slip and fall accidents. In fact, it is one of the most prone areas for slip and falls to happen.
- Uneven Floors And Tiles – Walking on an uneven floor is difficult. Uneven floors can be caused by cracks and dents from other incidents, old age, and too much foot traffic. Nevertheless, it does not make it any safer from slip and fall accidents. For working women who always wear high heels, uneven floors are a real challenge.
How Do We Avoid Slip And Fall Accidents?
We cannot predict when a slip and fall accident can happen but we can avoid it. Here are three ways to avoid suffering from a slip and fall accident:
- Look For Caution Signs – Newly mopped and polished floors usually have warning signs in bright yellow cones and we usually just ignore them. Start noticing them now so you will know when to slow down and tread carefully.
- Use The Staircase Hand Rail – When quickly climbing upstairs, consider the handrails your friend. Even if you somehow slip, your grip on the handrail can prevent you from tumbling down the stairs entirely, thus preventing any accidents and painful injuries. If there are no handrails on your side of the stairs, stick close to the wall as this will help you keep your balance.
- Bring Extra Shoes – If you think you are going to have a busy day and that you will be moving around a lot, make sure to bring shoes that are fit for such an activity.
What Should You Do When You Experience A Slip And Fall Accident?
A lot of factors should be considered when you experience a slip and fall accident such as the reason for your slip and fall, and the extent of the injuries you have sustained. Knowing the important facts will allow you to be properly compensated especially if your workplace is held liable for your slip and fall accident.
After getting your injuries treated and if you wish to pursue a personal injury case following your slip and fall accident, consult a trusted personal injury lawyer to help you with your claim..