We all have things that we might be a little embarrassed about or that you may not want to mention when speaking about your accident. However, we are the last people you want to be dishonest to. Here are just a few reasons why you really don’t want to lie to us about your case.
1) Lawyer are usually pretty smart. We may not be rocket scientists, but law isn’t the easiest to learn and practice either. That’s why if you lie to us, we won’t have to work very hard to find out. Even if we do end up missing this piece of information from our search, it is not likely that the other party’s lawyer did too. One way or another, it is only a matter of time before it is found out.
2) It is easier to defend against a surprise attack if we are given time to build your defense. If you have told your lawyer all about the nitty gritty details, we can be ready for it and jump on the issue before the other party can attempt to use it against us. If you neglect to do so and your lawyer is unable to find it out in their own research, it is going to be a lot harder for your lawyer to help you out.
3) It is hard to rebuild trust once you have lost it. If you have been lying to your lawyer for the past few months, we are going to have a very hard time trusting anything else you have said. We have been putting a lot of time and energy in your case and negotiating on your behalf. Once we find out that you haven’t been giving us the respect and honesty we deserve, it’s hard enough to continue on your case let alone trust you again.
4) It is not your lawyer’s job to judge you. We understand that everyone makes mistakes and that you may want to avoid sharing those mistakes too. However, if those mistakes are relevant to your case, we need to know. We are not here to judge you or we would be judges not lawyers. Our job is to work with you and fight for you. So as hard as it might be, please trust us with these vital pieces of information so we can do our best for you.
5) Lying is costly. How does lying make your case more expensive? Once we have found out you have been lying, we have to completely rework your entire case. We have to go through previous offers, communications, and defenses and then alter them to fit the full truth of the situation. So please save yourself some extra dollars and just tell us to begin with.