5 Common Mistakes To Avoid When Caught In An Auto Accident In St Petersburg
Here are the 5 common mistakes to avoid when you get into a car accident.
• Not Calling For Medical Help - Your first priority after getting into an accident is to check if you and your passengers suffered from any injuries. However, some would choose to downplay them or refuse medical help. This is one mistake you absolutely should not make, not only because it can endanger you, but also because your medical records will play an important role in your personal injury lawsuit. Injuries and other medical records are considered evidence of the damages incurred during the accident.
• Fighting And Provoking The Other Party - With emotions running high, many would try to engage in confrontation with the other driver. Engaging in a fight would only bring more harm. It could also make your injuries worse, and any wounds you sustained from the fight will be a different case altogether. Initiating a fight can also cause your lawsuit and claims to weaken, increasing your chances of losing or getting denied.
• Admitting It’s Your Fault - Some people feel pressured into admitting that the accident is their fault even when it is not. Apologizing and saying it is your fault can have grave repercussions as insurance companies and the court can hold your words against you. It will be difficult to retract your words and say otherwise, therefore making it challenging to win a lawsuit or claim.
• Not Gathering Evidence - Despite the chaos, getting evidence from the accident is one thing you should not forget. You can take pictures and videos, and even ask for CCTV footage and witness statements to support your claims about what happened. These will, later on, prove your innocence and they can also account for your damage claims.
• Not Calling A Lawyer - A personal injury attorney and auto accident lawyer knows cases like these like the back of their hands. Without a lawyer, you can easily be taken advantage of by insurance companies. Worst, the other driver can try to file a case against you. Having a personal injury lawyer will help you assert your rights, protect yourself, and get rightful compensation.
Accidents can really throw anyone off and cause people to lose their cool. Truly, being knowledgeable about how to deal with accidents can help you recover and be on the winning side. More importantly, you should get help from your personal injury lawyer as they know the best course of action to take.