Legal Help For First Time Offenders
It’s no secret that being charged with any criminal offense – even a minor one – can be a big problem for anyone. Jail time, heavy fines and fees, probation, and a criminal history can all have a huge impact on your life in various ways.
However, what about first time offenders? The general consensus is that these suspects usually get treated with a bit more leniency from the courts, but how much of that is true? One of the biggest issues is simply that a first time offenders is often consumed, stressed, and overwhelmed with the potential problems that they’re facing. Getting help is important.
Most first time offenders actually don’t commit felony crimes. Instead, these first time offenses are generally things like:
- Marijuana possession
- Criminal mischief
- Reckless driving
But these minor crimes can still lead to major issues, and those facing a drug or DUI charge will often have even more serious issues. The reasons are twofold:
- Drug and DUI charges usually carry the most serious penalties in the Florida court system for first time offenders.
- DUIs or being caught with drugs on your person are usually regarded as a ‘can’t win’ situation for suspects – especially first time offenders.
- In the case of either, you could lose your driver’s license and have trouble finding employment, entering college, or even securing a loan.
In short, no matter the type of crime that you’re facing, it can be difficult for you to overcome the charges and move on with your life in a positive way while the prospect of criminal penalties is hanging over your head.
It’s true enough that courts and judges often hand down lesser penalties to first time offenders and first time juvenile offenders, but the reality is that that doesn’t mean that you should just plead guilty immediately and hope for the best. Doing so still leaves you with a blemish on your record and could end up with other penalties as well.
Your best bet is to turn to a criminal defense attorney who can help represent you and defend you in court. Options we can help you pursue include:
- Dropping charges
- Expungement or sealing of first offenses – though this isn’t an option in most drug cases
- Plea bargaining for the best possible outcome
- Arguing your case at trial